Saturday 12 June 2010

World Cup - England vs USA

Looking forward to tonights game, it will be great to get underway.

England will be favourites to win, but we're going to have to be on the case because the USA are pretty solid these days. Still I'm predicting a 2-0 win for England. Rooney and Gerrard to score.


Other than tonight obviously, I'd like the USA to have a good world cup. America are slowly waking up to football, they just need some emotional attachement to hold attention so more of them can start to see the tension, drama, art and subtleties beyond the usual not enough scoring complaints (which is like way to miss the point my friends). I've known a few of my American friends that went to league matches over here, every one of them left the game fully converted ;) There is nothing quite like the atmosphere of an English league match, with a pie, chips and sugery builders tea :D The American enthusiasm for sport could lead to them having a great domestic league if they got onboard.

Good luck to both teams of course ;)

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't met my fiancé the last time the World Cup was held, so I think he's trying to reconcile the 'normal' me with the 'World Cup fanatic' me, which he's never seen before regarding any other sport. I don't think even he tries to arrange his schedule around American football matches >:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More of us are *slowly* coming around to it. But it will be a long time before it has a significant following still. (American) football (college and pro), baseball and basketball are still the large draws. With those, the American public has sporting events basically all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh. As a proud American, I still think that it's good for world geopolitics for there to be a major sporting event where any small country has a reasonable chance to beat us. As a corollary to that, I also think it's best if few Americans pay attention to the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yanks dont do sports they can't auto-win. Like all the biggest sports in the world! Rugby, Cricket, Formula 1, Kabaddi. Safer to have world series where only the USA is invited y/n?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Half man half pixel. Music obsessive, likes a drink, occasional bastard.