OK just a little post about SWTOR as I think we need to be careful people don’t expect the 2nd coming of MMO Baby Jesus. Many of us are looking forward to playing SWTOR, I know I am, but it’s important with this one to not set your hopes to high, as it will just lead to frustration and rage quitting. Do not get on board the hype train.
Key points about SWTOR:
- It is a PvE game with PvP bolted on, just like WoW, RIFT, etc.
- The PvP is almost completely standard EQ/WoW clone fare.
- It does have contested planets on PvP servers, but this is misleading as they are not RvR lakes, they are just PvE zones with PvP flags on and a few extra PvP objectives, they are not the focus of the game.
- If you plan on playing SWTOR primarily for PvP then you will quit shortly after hitting max level, if not before.
- It is a standard gear progression based game again like WoW, RIFT, etc, so Gear > everything.
- As such it is NOT a replacement for proper PvP centric games like WAR, DAoC or EVE.
- The PvE is more story driven and the quest lines are considerably better done than normal, but it is still just: Collect that and kill 10 of those.
- There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about SWTOR, unless you count everything having voice-overs, which you shouldn’t.
What it does have going for it is:
- It is extremely well made and polished.
- It will be a standard, but fun to play PvE game.
- Bioware are investing heavily in supporting the game and further development after launch.
- Supposedly it will run on a Sinclair Spectrum 48k.
- Star Wars.
- Force Choke.
- Twi’lek sluts.
Keep that in mind and you’ll enjoy it, but get too wrapped up in OMFG!!11 ITS AMAZING!!!111!! and you’re in for a brief burst of “ooh shiney” followed by “mehhhhh” /unsub.