Saturday 3 December 2011

Lag problems

Lag in games is a pain in the arse. Nobody likes to ragequit because of a bad connection to game servers, but most of us have (or will) at some point. Dying due to lag gets old fast and there's nothing worse than losing in PvP because some players seem to do everything that extra bit faster. Plus nobody wants to be that annoying git in the raid that always lags into mobs... yeah you know the type ;)

MMORPG launches in particular suffer from extreme lag due to everyone being in the same zones at the same time and loads of players competing to kill those mobs... And you know what the SWTOR launch on 20-DEC-2011 is going to be like! Of course that's just the extra stress at launch, yet many people suffer with bad latency at all times. A common problem these days is the way ISPs use traffic shaping, which (amongst things) is categorising the data travelling over your connection and priotising it how they see fit. Unfortunately this can mean your ISP totally shafts your connection to MMO servers, despite everything else like websites seeming fine. For example there were the problems myself and other Virgin Media users had with World of Warcraft and Warhammer Online earlier this year.

If you want a bit of an advantage and a solution for the above problems then it is well worth downloading WTFast Lagkiller for free right now and seeing if that sorts things out for you. The app picks the fastest route from your computer to the game server using PingCraft's advanced global server network and can prevent ISP traffic shaping causing problems, basically the end result is that it greatly improves your responsiveness in the game. For example I have had it down to a 9ms ping!

In the past I've had severe lag problems in games, like World of Warcraft when I played on the EU Doomhammer server, or laghammer as we used to call it and as someone that has been a hardcore raider and PvPer I sure as hell know the frustration caused by lag. So if you want a SWTOR lag fix, or improved responsiveness for almost any other MMORPG then I would definitely recommend giving WTFast a shot. You should instantly notice a difference. And if you think I'm just trying to sell a placebo or blag you, well it has a free trial so you've got nothing to lose. Follow this link to try it out.

Oh and it supports ALL games that are TCP based, which thankfully is pretty much every MMORPG, so it works for WoW, RIFT, Aion, EVE, Star Trek Online and more.

6 comments:

  1. Lagkiller saved my ass in Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, WoW, RIFT, Aion, EVE, Star Trek Online, Guild Wars and will probably also help me in Guild Wars 2, Titan and Diablo III. Pingcraft Lagkiller is Witchcraft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had huge problems with WAR earlier this year and Virgin Media were being rubbish claiming it wasn't them, but everyone knew it was as it kicked in the same day they went live with a new traffic management policy. Eventually they acknowledged the problem (it took months for them to do so) and they sorted it out, but until then for loads of us WAR was basically unplayable. :(

    Alas I didn't know about Lagkiller then and it's only because I got told about it the other day that I discovered it would have stopped it being an issue at all... doh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm... "PingCraft is free to try, but trial accounts are disconnected every 20 minutes."

    it may be worth the extra cash, but it would be rather annoying for me to be disconnected every 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, but that's only on the free trial Ven. So if you got lag problems you try it for 20minutes (or just reconnect it for longer ofc), see if it's fixed and if so take the sub and enjoy the fast connection. If it doesn't improve then just get rid of it.

    Free trial ftw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so you are promoting a program you haven't test yet? or?... Unless you tested it in swtor beta or something. And if you did, would probably say so. So assuming you haven't tested it yourself.
    Anyway, never had any lag problem caused by my ISP, unless you count having torrent running wile playing a ISP problem. But will ofc try something like that program if it occurs, until I will call it rubbish and a placebo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah sorry my bad, I thought that I'd indicated that I tested it out :)

    I've mainly used it the last week or so with Warhammer Online (free trial cos I'm not subbed at the moment) and it has made a big difference there, much smoother for the WAR EU servers in Germany. And it's particularly improved when playing on the US servers, I believe the worse your latency to a server is the larger the improvement tends to be.

    SWTOR beta I used it on the last day to see if Pingcraft had Lagkiller up and running with SWTOR, which they did. I'd not had problems beforehand (my latency was good) other than some spikes, but they basically stopped with Lagkiller running.

    Anyways, I'm only recommending it as something to try if you do have problems. I for example have no need for it when playing RIFT, but I will be using it with STO where my connection isn't so great, presumably because STO has one global server.

    Though it's certainly not rubbish, it's what's known as a tunneling and proxy service. Which you can read up on if so inclined.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Half man half pixel. Music obsessive, likes a drink, occasional bastard.